top of page
Workers in Building Site


What is my zoning district? Zoning districts can be found by visiting the AccessDane website and searching your parcel. Zoning districts are listed on the bottom left-hand side of the page. Questions related to your zoning district should be directed to Dane County Zoning. You may contact Dane County Zoning at (608) 266-4266 or

Does the Town have any regulations on fences? Fences must be placed only on your own property and outside of the road right-of-way area, typically 33 feet from the center of the town road. If there are easements on the property, please check with the easement holder to see if a fence would be allowed. 
If there is a platted drainageway, fences are not allowed in these locations. The Town does not require a building permit for fences. However, please check with Dane County Zoning as they DO regulate fencing within special zoning districts. You may contact Dane County Zoning at (608) 266-4266 or

How long are building permits valid? Building permits are valid for 2 years from the date of issuance. Commercial electrical permits are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance.

What are the setbacks on my property? Dane County Zoning oversees the setbacks for properties in the Town. Please contact Dane County Zoning for setback information at (608) 266-4266 or by emailing

​I want to...

bottom of page